PhonicsSounds Cheat Sheet
Howto use this information
- This sheet will help you with the phonics soundsand how to help your student use them while reading.
- If your student gets stuck on a word whilereading, use this information to help them break down the word correctly.
Short Vowel sounds
- Short a like apple
- Short e like Ed
- Short i like itch
- Short o like octopus
- Short u like up
Long Vowel Sounds
“The e makes the vowel say its name (usethis phrase as a reminder to your student)
Long a_e like safe
Long e_e like Pete
Long i_e like pine
Long o_e like home
Long u_e (2 sounds) like rule and mule
Long Vowel Teams
“When 2 vowels go walkingthe first one does the talking and it says its name!”” (use this phrase as a reminder to your student)
Long a vowel pairs:ai, ay
Long e vowel pairs: ee, ea, ei
Long I vowel pairs: ie, igh (gh makes i say long i)
Long o vowel pairs: oa, oe, ow
Long u vowel pairs: ue, ew
Doubleoo will try to trick you!
oolike goo oo like cook
oo like boot, hoot foot
ew like new book
u_e like tune look
_ue like blue
Y the sly guy!
When y isat the end of a word it sometimes say “e” and other times says “I”
Y says long “I” in a Y says long “e” in a
1 syllable word 2 syllable word
fly shy try funny carry
my cry silly Friday
Dipthongs:ou, ow, au, aw, oi, oy
ou and ow like ouch! awand au have a crush on each other.When
-ou isusually at the they are next to each other they say “awwwwww”
beginning or middle -auis usually at the beginning or middle of a word
-ow is at thebeginning, -awis at the beginning, middle, or end of a word
middle, or end of a word aw like au like
ou like ow like saw auto
oi and oy
oi isusually at the beginning or middle of the word.
oy is atthe beginning, middle, or end of the word.
oi like oi oylike boy
Theletter r is very bossy when it comes after a vowel. It changes the sound of thevowel so make sure you pay attention to bossy r!
ar er, ir and ur all say /er/like bird
ar says arrrgh er ir ur or
(like a pirate!) her shirt hurt fork
star soccer girl curly
germ twirl nurse
Digraphs:sh, ph, ch, wh, th
Digraphsare 2 letters that make only 1 sound when together.
sh ph ch wh th
ship phone chin whistle thumb
Blendsare 2 or 3 consonants that are next to each other in a word. All of the soundsare blended together. Blends can be in the beginning, middle, or end of a word.
cloud pretty blue stripe scream
mask felt went raspberry
ckis used to say /k/ after a short vowel
HardG and Soft G Hard C and Soft C
Hard g says /g/ like Hard c says /k/ like
grape, gave, glass, gum cup, popcorn, cat
The g is hard when it is followed The cis hard when it is followed
by an a, o, u or aconsonant . by ana, o, u or a consonant.
Soft g says /j/ like Softc says /s/ like
gym, giant, germ city,cell, center, circle, cylinder
The g is soft when it is followed The cis soft when it is followed
by an e, i, or y(most often) by an e, i, or y (most often)
3sounds of the ed ending
When edis added to the end of the word it has three different sounds.
ed says /ed/ like started
ed says /d/ like yelled
ed says /t/ like jumped
If your student gets stuck askthem to look for…
- Wordfamilies- Look in the word for a word family that we know.
- LittleWord- Look for a little word inside the word.
- Magic e- If aword ends with an e and can jump over one letter and land on a vowel, you havea magic e. He tells the vowel he lands on to “Say Your Name!”
- Try theother sound- If you blend the word and it doesn’t sound right,try blending the word using the vowels different sounds.
- Blending- When youare “breaking down” a word, add one sound at a time.
Firstmake the hard c sound.
Thenadd the a sound.
Blendthe c and a together.
Thenadd the ending t sound. Then smooth all three sounds together.
- Your student should go back and reread the word to make sure it soundsright and that it makes sense.